It’s Friday! Let’s greet the weekend with another set of review, and today I am featuring Lime Crime’s True Love Set. In case you didn’t know, I already reviewed 3 of the brand’s famous shades last 2014 (you can find my previous review here) and yes, it’s been that long since I got hold of their new shades. As I mentioned in my previous snaps, Lime Crime is my very first liquid lipstick and I liked it but over the past 2 years, a lot of interesting brands came up with their own liquid lipsticks and I got busy trying them out.
Fast forward to February of 2016, the brand launched this True Love Set, which includes 3 lipstick shades namely Cupid, True Love and Saint. They were lovely colours but that time, I only had my eyes on True Love shade (later you will see why). Since I can’t pick just one, I grabbed the whole set and now, I will share my thoughts with you. 😉
As this is a set, it did not come with individual packaging. All the three lipsticks were contained in a box.
In my previous Lime Crime Review, I mentioned that the brand changed their packaging and I based it with the lipsticks that I had on hand. Now when I received the new ones, AGAIN, I noticed some changes in the packaging. Below are the photos of the three shades that I bought from 2013 to 2016.
*please note that due to the difference in undertones, the shades may look brighter or darker to different people.
For reference here is the list of my foundation shades:
NC25 (MAC Pro Longwear Foundation) / 1.5 (MAC Matchmaster) Y225 (MUFE Ultra HD) / Light 4 Deauville (NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation)
Described as a soft petal pink with a matte finish; This is a lovely colour but it just did not work on me. The colour is a bit too light for my liking and tone, so a smoky eye/day look will be best to match this finish. Otherwise, I will look too washed out/lifeless. This is not something that I can just grab, apply and go. It is also my least favourite in the set.
Just to give you an idea, here is a side by side comparison with other pink liquid lipsticks that I have at the moment.
So by now, you must have understood why I got my eyes on this shade named True Love. 😉
Lime Crime described it as a vibrant pinky red with a matte finish, and it is so pretty!! I can imagine that in case you get lost in a crowd, your friends/husband/family can just ask for the woman with bright lips and people can easily locate you! 😂 But seriously, this is a lovely bold colour and I love it!
As lovely as it can be, you have to be careful when you apply this because (and I think this is common with neon-coloured lipsticks) it can be problematic when you don’t apply it correctly. A single application is all you need, or else, it will look very cakey, thick and crumbly. I needed to do 4 reapplications before I got the perfect stroke, and of course, I used a lip brush to apply it on my lips.
Oh yes, my darlings! I found a perfect dupe for Lime Crime’s True Love and it is Australis Velourlips in Bar-Tha-Lona.
If you are following me on social media, I am sure that the next photos will be familiar to you because I was wearing the shade Saint in the recent post.
Described as a deep cranberry red with a matte finish, this instantly became a favourite among the three. I find the colour to be more of browny red that it reminds me of Colourpop’s Frick n Frack, rather than deep cranberry red shade but it can also be because of my skin tone.
Berry’s Beauty Tip #1:
If you will try this kind of shade, I suggest that you put a proper makeup so you can see the impact of the lipstick.
Many times, especially when I am testing products, I would wear the lipstick with zero makeup and when I look in the mirror, I am almost convinced that the colour is not for me. But when I put proper makeup and use those shades again, I will realize that hey, it looks great! 🙂
- Lime Crime’s True Love set was originally sold as a limited edition trio at 44 USD and it is a good deal because you are getting 3 regular-sized Velvetine lipsticks. (Regular Velvetines are sold at 20 USD per tube)
- To date, all the shades in this trio set are now part of their regular velvetine range.
- In Singapore, you can get this thru Carousell and it is priced between 30-45 SGD.
- I bought my trio set from Carousell (shopaholicmom) at 80 SGD
- These velvetines are opaque and pigmented;
- Easy to use and apply.
- no need to use lip liners
- one swipe is all you need and you can apply directly or use a lip brush (my favourite method).
- Long wearing enough
- I wore Saint and had it on for 7 hours; I had dinner and coffee and this is how my lips looked like after:
- Minimal transfer.
- Light on the lips.
- You can conveniently press your lips together and lip product will not be tacky or ball up.
- No feathering.
- Made in the USA (as mentioned in the packaging).
- I noticed that these Velvetines were a bit sticky even after they dry, unlike their previous ones. But again, even if you press your lips, it won’t be a problem because they stay in place.
- I lips felt a bit dry after 4 hours of wear.
- I think that aside from the change in packaging, they also changed their formula and with that comes the scent.
- It has a light cake batter scent that goes away after a few minutes of wear. This is really not something negative but if you are someone who dislikes scented makeup, then you should consider this. 😀
Berry’s Beauty Tip #2:
- Just like any other liquid matte lipsticks, you need a good makeup remover (oil-based makeup removers, olive oil or coconut oil) in order to remove the product from your face.
- Remove it gently using a cotton pad or Q-tips.
- Exfoliate using a lip scrub and moisturise your lips and lastly,
- apply some lip balm.
- Lime Crime is not available in local department stores in Singapore but you can check out Carousell SG and other local sellers, but be sure that what you are getting is NOT FAKE.
To find out more about Lime Crime, check out their website here: www.limecrime.com.
BEWARE OF COUNTERFEIT LIME CRIME ITEMS:
There are a lot of fake Lime Crimes (and other brands, too) being sold in the market today so to avoid being a victim here are some things to keep in mind:
- Know the product well including price.
- Buy directly from the brand’s website
- You can also check if they have authorized dealers in your country and if they have, then get your products from there.
- If you are buying from an online seller, be sure to check the seller’s profile.
- Check the price.
- if it is too good to be true then think again before buying. OR better if you ask the seller why they are selling it at such low price which is far from the original price.
- Ask questions.
- If you have doubts, ask directly.
Be a smart consumer. 😉
Again, many thanks for taking the time to read this review. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you will never miss my upcoming posts and reviews! And if you got something to say, just leave your comments below or drop me a message! I love it when I receive messages from you guys!
Until next time! ❤
Makeup of the day:
- Foundation: La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation in Warm Ivory
- Concealer: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind in Light Pale
- Brows – Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in Taupe and Brow wiz in Medium Brown
- Eyeshadow – Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quad in Cocoa Mirage
- Eyeliner –Stila Stay-All-Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Intense Black
- Hourglass Luminous Flush (worn in Cupid and True Love)
- Tom Ford – Ravish (worn in Saint)
- Contour and Highlight
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light to Medium Shade
- I also used Maybelline’s Instant Age rewind Brightener Illuminator underneath.
Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
– Coco Chanel