Here is another round of review for red lippies. 😀
1. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella
Described by NARS as “passionate scarlet red.” It is a medium dark red with cool, blue undertones. It gives a matte finish once you applied on the lips. The jumbo lip pencils became popular because of the idea that really works – lipstick in a form of a pencil. It is convenient to bring, easy to use and in cases of accidentally breaking the tip, you can always sharpen ’em up.
- Easy to use.
- I love that it is very pigmented.
- Long lasting.
- I tested the lip pencil on a weekend when we went out from 12 noon until almost midnight. The lipstick was intact despite having drinks (hot and cold) and Korean BBQ for dinner (which means oily food). Having a lipstick that stays for more than 10 hours is a great thing! I was even worried that I check it from time to time, but it leaves a good stain that others won’t even notice that it faded. What can I say? I am impressed! 😀
- I noticed that it was a bit drying towards the end of the day. As this is common on matte lipsticks, make sure that you prep your lips before using the product.
- I got my NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil from Tangs at 37 SGD (26 USD) and with the price, you get 2.4 g of lipstick. Compared to MAC lipsticks sold at 30 SGD (16 USD) a pop, you get 3g.
Note: The product has a sweet smell that is noticeable once applied, but it wears off after a while. If you are particular with lipstick scents, you may want to try it from the beauty counters first before buying.
2. NYX Monte Carlo
This is my second NYX soft matte lip creme (SMLC) and I bought it 9 months ago, but because I got a bunch of red lipsticks, this one was left unnoticed until I did this review. My first NYX SMLC was in the shade of MILAN – a medium, blue-tone pink. It was a lovely color that you can use every day at work, but I did not like the performance. You should apply it with careful strokes because fast and repeated strokes will erase it. I even used a lip brush just to make sure that it will be applied evenly. Also, pressing your lips is not an option for this pink shade of NYX SMLC.
Despite these reasons, I decided to give this red shade a try and here goes my experience with the product.
- Easy to use.
- Compared to my previous experience with the same product line, this one is easier and more manageable to use. Again, you may always opt to use a lip brush for better application but in the photo above, I just applied it directly to my lips using the product’s applicator.
- Light and pigmented
- I cannot remember the exact price when I bought it here in Singapore but in the US, it costs 6 USD a piece and with that price, you get 8 grams of lipstick.
- It is not long lasting
- not smudge-proof
3. Sephora Color Lip Blast #20 – Wanted Red
Described as “dark red” with a matte finish. The lipstick is sold for 21 SGD (13 USD) at SEPHORA ION Orchard. This is one of the best matte lipsticks I tried, but the only thing that threw me off was the scent.
- The formula is long lasting (and Sephora promises a 10-hour lasting power) and feels great on the lips.
- Beautiful color; very opaque and pigmented.
- You may need to use a makeup remover for waterproof eye makeup.
- Like I said earlier, the only thing that I did not like was the scent. It is too fruity and sweet that it bothers me while wearing it. 😦
And we reached the end of my review. If you want to see my other reviews just click here or if you want to check out my reviews, photos and swatches for other red lipstick brands, just click the links below:
- Lime Crime Red Velvet Velvetine
- Bobbi Brown Vintage Red, Red Carpet and NARS Jungle Red Lip Liner
- MAC Lady Danger, High Energy and Cherry – Photos, Reviews and Swatches